View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ammunition for the Soviet PRTS 14.5mm Anti Tank rifle 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post Ammunition for the Soviet PRTS 14.5mm Anti Tank rifle
What cartridge did the Protivotankovoe Ruzh'yo Simonova Obrazets1941 g (PTRS) anti-tank rifle use in its 5-round clips. The clips were double row en-bloc and similar to Garand clips but much bigger. Was it a standard machine gun AP cartridge or a special rifle cartridge? How was it marked? Can anyone please post a picture of the correct cartridge for this rifle?

gravelbelly


Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:40 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 
Both the PTRD and PTRS AT rifles used the 14.5mmx114 Russian round (at least that's what Ian Hogg says anyway).
Image
Image
The round in the middle is the 14.5x114. It's flanked by the 12.7 Russian and the US 60 HMG


Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:35 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 14.5
These AT rifles used the same case type as what is shown here but this is the MG round. The cartridge was chambered to Soviet heavy MGs and used far more in those than in the AT rifles. The ammunition is still in production for MG use and is made by many countries. The WW2 versions for the AT rifle are getting much harder to come by but there are plenty of the MG rounds in the market place.


Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:57 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 14.5
Training display of Soviet 14.5 ammo.


Image


Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 14.5
The all red bullet with black tip was the cartridge of choice for the AT rifle. It is tungsten carbide core API. The early 14.5 and 12.7 rounds both used small primers but all went to the large primer later in the war era. Many like to argue about this but specimens exist.


Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:22 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 
I think we discussed the small primer issue on the 14.5mm once before.

The Russians had switched from small to large primers already when the 14.5 was not yet existing.

The particular round for the AT rifle was the BS-41 (API) and some other experimental ones containing irritants etc.
Nonetheless the regular BZT was also used with the AT rifles. In this case the cartridges had to be greased.

To the left the original BS-41 and to the right the MDZ which was mainly used for AA pourpose.
http://www.conjay.com/1003z1%2014.5mm%20Various.jpg

And here by the way the US made BS-41 projectile. Those I have seen had a silver tip in accordance to US markings (API):
http://www.newlenoxmc.com/Projectiles.htm
The US made B-32 I have not seen yet. Did anybody?


Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:44 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 14.5
Yes you are correct about the previous discussion which is what I mentioned and you are still mistaken. I have had and still have specimens of the small primer in the 14.5 and will put up photos next time I see them. Most of my ammo is in storge and since I have no current business with the 14.5s they are in storage. You will be enlightened in due course.

I have a box of the BS 41 from Frankford Arsenal with silver tips and will put it up when I find it.


Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:00 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 
EOD wrote:
I think we discussed the small primer issue on the 14.5mm once before.

The Russians had switched from small to large primers already when the 14.5 was not yet existing.

The particular round for the AT rifle was the BS-41 (API) and some other experimental ones containing irritants etc.
Nonetheless the regular BZT was also used with the AT rifles. In this case the cartridges had to be greased.

To the left the original BS-41 and to the right the MDZ which was mainly used for AA pourpose.
http://www.conjay.com/1003z1%2014.5mm%20Various.jpg

And here by the way the US made BS-41 projectile. Those I have seen had a silver tip in accordance to US markings (API):
http://www.newlenoxmc.com/Projectiles.htm
The US made B-32 I have not seen yet. Did anybody?



Thank you for the LENOX link.


Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:02 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post Re: 14.5
CSAEOD wrote:
Yes you are correct about the previous discussion which is what I mentioned and you are still mistaken. I have had and still have specimens of the small primer in the 14.5 and will put up photos next time I see them. Most of my ammo is in storge and since I have no current business with the 14.5s they are in storage. You will be enlightened in due course.

I have a box of the BS 41 from Frankford Arsenal with silver tips and will put it up when I find it.


Yes, an image of the small primed 14.5 would be interesting to see.

FA made whole 14.5x114 cartridges?


Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:05 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 14.5
I do not know that but I do have a box of the projectiles. I have US made cases but they are steel and not made by FA.

When we first started testing effects of these we did not have many to work with. 20mm M103 cases were necked down to .50 to simulate the effect of the 14.5 on helicopter materiel during the Viet nam war.


Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:10 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 
- @ gravelbelly: I don't see any difference between the 14.5X114 shell case used during WW2 and the 14.5X114 shell cases manufactured after 1945. With a WW2 date I have a 14.5X114 brass case headstamped [raised headstamp] "3" [Ulyanovsk ammo plant] over "42" [1942] with a "star" at 3 o'clock position. This 14.5X114 was definitely manufactured for the Russian AT rifles PTRD or PTRS. The primer has a diameter of 9mm [0.354-in]. I don't know for sure the meaning of that "star" mark, it may be connected with an interior cartridge case dimension or the shape of the material used to manufacture the 14.5X114 shell case. Not long ago it was posted here a topic about this interesting subject. Liviu 06/16/07


Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 14.5
They are the same case except that lots of post war(WW2) cases are steel and I have never seen a war date in steel.

Do you have Romanian ones ? Which loads ?


Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 
- @ CSAEOD: Correct, I've never seen 14.5X114 steel shell cases with WW2 dates. I only have fired Romanian made 14.5X114 shell cases, all having raised headstamps: "21" [most probably Cugir Arsenal" over "73" and "75" [brass cases] and steel cases with no maker's mark, only with a two digit date ["83", "86" and "87"]. I also have the original non-disintegrating steel belt link with the capacity of 10 rounds [no markings]. The 14.5X114 round is still in use in Romania. Liviu 06/16/07


Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:23 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post 
Liviu wrote:
- @ gravelbelly: I don't see any difference between the 14.5X114 shell case used during WW2 and the 14.5X114 shell cases manufactured after 1945. With a WW2 date I have a 14.5X114 brass case headstamped [raised headstamp] "3" [Ulyanovsk ammo plant] over "42" [1942] with a "star" at 3 o'clock position. This 14.5X114 was definitely manufactured for the Russian AT rifles PTRD or PTRS. The primer has a diameter of 9mm [0.354-in]. I don't know for sure the meaning of that "star" mark, it may be connected with an interior cartridge case dimension or the shape of the material used to manufacture the 14.5X114 shell case. Not long ago it was posted here a topic about this interesting subject. Liviu 06/16/07


Did you ever weigh a 1942 brass case and compare it to a brass case from the late 1950's?


Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:03 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm
Posts: 0
Post picture
ab


Last edited by historian on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.