View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Chinese 7.62 x 51 with RG 60 L2A2 headstamp? 

Post Chinese 7.62 x 51 with RG 60 L2A2 headstamp?
I was going through my 7.62X51 ammo and I found some stuff that I have set aside until I could figure out what it was. It has the following headstamp: RG, 60, Nato Circle/Cross, L2A2. First impression is that is is Radway Green, which would be good. However, it has a seel case and a steel bullet (by magnet). Do not think RG did any steel cases. The case has a coloring on it to make it appear like it is really brass.

I have heard that this ammo may be a Chinese knock-off and it may be corrosive. Does anyone have any info on this ammo? I worry about it being corrosive.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:28 pm

Yes, it's a Chinese copy, but decent shooting ammo. I have heard both corrosive and non, so I have just treated it as corrosive and cleaned accordingly.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:34 pm

Yes, this is Chinese. I can not imagine what they were thinking when they copied a British headstamp but used a very obviously Chinese copper washed steel case and projectile jacket. It is lead cored and probably corrosive primed.

AKMS

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:36 pm

Post Chinese 7.62 x 51
AKMS - Remember, when you say "obviously," it is obvious to most of us, but we're are not the average when it comes to spotting stuff like this with ammunition. The group of truly active cartridge collectors by and large know more about this sort of thing in ammo than do many large police agencies, governments, etc. That is why we are called on for help in identifying thigs. It is not obvious to everyone (even if it should be). That's why I love this Forum - there is so much I learn in every field by the real experts that help us identify stuff here, including you. It would be impossible for me to expalin how much information from this forum has added to my own library and to my knowledge of ammunition.

Remember who has written the largest part of the body of knowledge on ammunition - it is not Governments or people casually involved with ammunition. It is gun and cartridge collectors who write most of the books.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:37 am

Post Chinese Fake "RG L2A2 60 Ammo
Made by Chinese at about the same time they made the Berdan primed "LC 52" M1 Carbine ammo;
Also at the same time as Norinco hyad copied the US M14 (Model 305), intending to give them to Separatist groups in the Philippines and elsewhere.

Even the stripper clips in the 300 round Loose pack tins were Fake...with matching British makers marks.
Anyway, the operation fell through (someone realised that RG did not make Copper washed 7,62 ammo ( and it would not have the "L2A2" mark, which was for a brass case design)... so the idea was quietly forgotten about, and the Semi Auto vewrsions of the 305 sold into Australia and the USA etc, with bayonet lugs removed, as "Sporting Rifles" (if tuned up, they are good shooters.

As to the ammo, it is VERY corrosive ( some very much later batches of Norinco 7,62x51, may be "non-corrosive", but all the L2A2 Fakes are very corrosive. (1970s-80s manufacture).
The Powder is also very erratic, and dirty. I almost took apart my SIG-AMT with the ammo on rapid fire( shattered the rubber recoil buffer, bolt telescoped and impressed the roller lugs into receiver walls...no lasting damage (pressed walls back to square after removing the bolt bit by bit.)

All the 600 rounds of the ammo I had I dismantled, tossed the powder into the garden,gave the steel jacket/steel core bullets to a friend who manufactures Vests for Police and Army, for testing kevlar and ceramic plates, and used the steel cases to make 7,9x33 Long Blanks.

Regards, Doc AQV
AV Ballistics.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:11 am

Here's a pic of the fake British Stripper clip DocAV mentions:-

You can see a little more detail about the stripper clips at my website
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~kevin_a/China.html

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:21 am

Post MTY 60 and MTY 58 7.62x51 chargers
NZ L1A1 Collector wrote:

I have both the MTY 60 and an MTY 58 charger. Are they both chinese?

gravelbelly

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Post Re: MTY 60 and MTY 58 7.62x51 chargers
gravelbelly wrote:
NZ L1A1 Collector wrote:

gravelbelly

I would need to see the MTY 58 Clip to make an assessment of it. I do know of a Mk. 2 Charger (two stops on each side) marked "MTY 57" so the "MTY 58" could be real? How closely dose your "MTY 58" Charger match the "MTY 60" in the way its manufactured and the style of Font of the stamping?

Maybe the "MTY 60" clips are original British clips that the Chinese have reused? Without an original British MTY example to study and measure this clips will continue to stay as being a 'fake'. Certainly certain characteristics of the "MTY 60" doesn't match other British production Chargers.

If you can send me some pics of your "MTY 58" and "MTY 60" clips (one above the other) I will have a look and see what I can figure out.

Last edited by historian on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:29 pm

Post Re: MTY 60 and MTY 58 7.62x51 chargers
NZ L1A1 Collector wrote:
gravelbelly wrote:
NZ L1A1 Collector wrote:

gravelbelly

I would need to see the MTY 58 Clip to make an assessment of it. I do know of a Mk. 2 Charger (two stops on each side) marked "MTY 57" so the "MTY 58" could be real? How closely dose your "MTY 58" Charger match the "MTY 60" in the way its manufactured and the style of Font of the stamping?

Maybe the "MTY 60" clips are original British clips that the Chinese have reused? Without an original British MTY example to study and measure this clips will continue to stay as being a 'fake'. Certainly certain characteristics of the "MTY 60" doesn't match other British production Chargers.

If you can send me some pics of your "MTY 58" and "MTY 60" clips (one above the other) I will have a look and see what I can figure out.

I tried to scan these but with poor results, I will try again tomorrow. My MTY 58 is a Mark 2 (two stops) and the lettering is larger.

gravelbelly

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:13 am

Post Thanks Gentlemen
The information on the RG fakes is greatly appreciated and beneficial.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:03 pm

Post 7.62x51mm chargers marked MTY 58 and MTY 60
NZ L1A1 Collector wrote:
I look forward to seeing your scans

OK, here are my scans. The MTY 58 is a Mark 2 type with two stop lugs on each side. The MTY 60 one is a Mark 3 type with a single stop lug on each side.

They are clearly very different, even the style of lettering is different.

gravelbelly

Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Thanks for the scan Gravebelly,

Well that certainly dose answer the question the "MTY 60" clips are 100% fake, not only is the font totally different you can also see the holes for retaining the spring are a lot smaller then the "MTY 58" example.

Even though I don't have the MTY examples I now have been told of a "MTY 57" and "MTY 58" Mk. 2 clips. It's very possible Mettoy never continued to produce any more chargers/stripper clips past the Mark 2 design.

The Mark 3 (single stop) Canadian design was accepted in 1960 as the standard for the ABC (Australia, Britain Canada) countries and formed the bases for the new NATO standard of stripper clips.

If you ever come across any other "MTY 57" or "MTY 58" chargers (or in fact anything not shown on the website) that are 'spares' I would love to do a trade to get examples I could measure and study for my research.

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:48 pm

The mark 3 charger discussed above appears very similar to the M14 clip, which (as far as I know) is only of the one-stop type. Are they in practice interchangeable? JG

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:30 pm

The mark 3 charger discussed above appears very similar to the M14 clip, which (as far as I know) is only of the one-stop type. Are they in practice interchangeable? JG

I've closely scrutinised a lot of American stripper clips and found there are at least 3 variations of the retaining spring (meaning 3 changes in the design), unfortunately American clips aren't year dated so it's impossible to tell when these changes took place. American stripper clips were based on the single stop Mk.3 Canadian design.

All countries supplying ammunition and it's components to NATO had to conform to the STANAG specifications for that item. Thus stripper clips from Canada, UK, America, Italy, The Netherlands, FN etc had to be made to the same tolerances.

Even though Australia wasn't part of NATO, it still had to conform to Canadian and British standards, thus in-turn their stripper clips conformed to the NATO standards.

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:15 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next