View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:55 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hatton Shotgun Breaching Round 

Post Hatton Shotgun Breaching Round
Would someone know the origin of the name "Hatton"? Is it the name of the inventor, original maker (British?) or what? Many thanks!

Cheers

HANS

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:31 am

Post 12ga breaching
I think "Hatton" is a term originating from the UK for these types of shells, which is just another name for them like "Avon" rds, "Shok-Lock" rds, or lockbusters. The earliest one I have seen was from the 70's or early 80's, had a maroon casing, and a white cardboard plug on the end which said "shok-lock", and I believe it was by AAI.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:08 am

Post Re: 12ga breaching
DK configuration wrote:
I think "Hatton" is a term originating from the UK for these types of shells, which is just another name for them like "Avon" rds

Quite so, but while the origin of "Avon" is easily explained (after the door-knocking salesmen of the Avon company), the origin of "Hatton" is obscure.

Cheers

HANS

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am

The Hatton rds are/were sold by Clucas MoE. I remember the rds being trialed sometime between 1983 and 1987. I think they were named after the bloke who thought them up, but my memory may well be wrong. Tony Williams will probably know.

At one point we cut the barrel of some Remington 870's down level with the mag tube and put pistol grips on them. The "user" said that firing Hatton rds to blow in a door through these modified 870's was "sporty". These were 870's were nicknamed as Access or Barclay Cards for a while.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Can someone please tell me the difference between a door breaching round and a standard solid slug.

Nick

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Can someone please tell me the difference between a door breaching round and a standard solid slug.

Nick

With reference to the Hatton round the 'slug' is made of compressed lead powder which breaks up very quickly after hitting the target, less chance of a ricochet etc etc

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Exactly; with a "slug" you generally want as much penetration as possible, but a "breaching" round is simply meant to blow locks or hinges off of a door frame (allowing quick entry) without causing damage to whomever/whatever is on the other side of that door. However, if you were to actually SHOOT someone with a breaching round, it would do just as much damage as a regular slug.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:42 am

So would it be fair to call it a frangible projectile?

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 am

So would it be fair to call it a frangible projectile?

I think that although it behaves like a frangible bullet after hitting the target, I wouldn't call it a frangible round but thats only my own opinion.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]